The problem of students, who got admission in colleges affiliated to Mahamaya Technical University (MTU) despite not meeting the minimum requirements, is showing no signs of abating. The university has not only postponed the first two examinations of the first semester examinations to December 15 and 18, earlier scheduled to take place on December 1 and 3, but have also written to affiliated colleges regarding the ineligible students.
According to university sources, before the start of the academic year, 65,000 students had been registered into the university out of which around 1,000 students have been found ineligible. Of these, less than 200 students were admitted through counselling while the rest were direct admissions by affiliated colleges. The procedure for admissions into the university is through counselling following the Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination (UPSEE). But after counselling, if the seats aren’t filled up, then the university authorizes colleges to admit students on their own, however colleges are required to ensure that the students meet the minimum requirements of the university.
The university officials said that it was “unlikely” that these students would be able to sit for the first semester examination. Out of these students, many hadn’t even submitted the complete set of required documents for admission. The university had initially given till November 28 to submit the required documents. “Acceptance of all rejected students by the university will be possible only after the investigation of original documents,” said PP Saxena, registrar, MTU.
According to sources, the university had also sent out a list of students who fell into this category to their respective colleges. “The students are at fault here for not taking note of the minimum requirements, but so is the college administration. The fact that these students hadn’t met the minimum requirements should have been discovered when their documents were being verified during admission,” said a senior university official.
University officials had met on Sunday to discuss the tricky situation. Even though the postponement of the examination might give the university officials some time to verify the documents of the students, their future appears to be bleak. “If the students are found wanting in terms of the minimum requirements of the university, then they will not be allowed to sit for the examination,” said SK Kak, vice chancellor, MTU.
Speaking to TOI, Kak explained that the root of the problem lies in the rapidly decreasing interest in engineering across the country. “In the beginning of the academic year, we had found that almost 60% of the seats were going empty,” he said. University officials said that an investigation will take place regarding these students, but currently the focus is to ensure that first semester examinations take place with the least complication. “We will look into the matter of these admissions, but right now the priority is the examination,” added Kak.
(from Times of India)
- One Lakh students to appear for AIEEE entrance online
- PCI bars new admissions in 7 Colleges
- IIMs to have closer cooperation in admissions, may set up an IIM University